Precious Cargo

Refreshingly Bitter And Twisted Observations On Life's Passing Parade.

My Photo
Name:
Location: Valley Village, California, United States

Monday, November 07, 2005

This Ruined My Day

Why is it that I can't sell one book but publishers and agents fall all over themselves to sign up Bobby Henderson, creator of the web site for the Church of the Flying Spaghetti Monster, a puerile parody of intelligent design?

I remember seeing a graphic for the FSM a few months ago on another blog. I thought it was a faintly amusing gag but nothing more. There is a precedent for non-books like this, the Darwin Awards. For the life of me, I can't understand who will shell out good money to buy these one-joke books. First, once you've seen the web site, you've seen it all. Second, you can flip through one of these books in a bookstore for five minutes and you've exhausted its potential. What motivates anyone to buy the book after that?

This is the kind of thing that I invariably discover online, just what I don't want to hear about.

Reading about deals like this must infuriate W.S. Cross. It certainly adds weight to his/her argument about how publishers employ inconsistent criteria to justify their acquisitions.

3 Comments:

Blogger JA Konrath said...

Don't knock my religion, man!

When the FSM comes back to earth to choose who will join him in nirvana, I'm telling on you.

9:30 AM  
Blogger velvetbabe said...

what have you pubbed lately?

LOL!

W. S. is a yalie & my pal!

LOLOLOLOLOL!

me
www.velvetbabe.com

10:36 AM  
Blogger Peter L. Winkler said...

Dear velvetbabe:

The March, 2005 digital edition of Smart TV & Sound published this article by me (and paid me $150):

http://www.smarttvandsound.com/menu_page.cfm?menu=1&page=stv_article.cfm&id=10612

Then, in July, I wrote a 250 word article for Playboy, for which I was paid $400.

If you want to read some of my other published writing, dig my web site and play follow the links.

http://plwinkler.tripod.com/

4:10 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home

Subscribe to
Posts [Atom]